Published on: 1st February 2022 | Updated on: 16th October 2023
Contractors should also ensure that all appropriate endorsements are added to the prescription to ensure that they are reimbursed correctly. Any queries please contact the pricing helpdesk: email@example.com
When a medication is unavailable, and the only option is to provide a special or unlicensed import (as detailed in a communication from the Medicines Shortages Advisory Group) then the following 3-stage process should be followed:-
- After confirming with the prescriber that they are happy for the unlicensed product/ special to be supplied. Return the script to the prescriber to make the necessary changes*.
- Ensure the script is correctly endorsed**.
- Submit the prescription for pricing in Group 1A.
* Note: Payment for broken bulk will not be made so contractors are advised to ensure that the prescription is for a pack wherever possible.
** A reminder of the endorsement process is shown below
Where this process is not followed the pharmacy will only receive the payment for the item as listed in the drug tariff; if a contractor realises that they have submitted a prescription in the June 2020 bundle without making the appropriate changes, they are advised to source a new prescription from the prescriber (and endorse appropriately) and contact NWSSP to request that the previously supplied prescription is not paid.
Endorsement and payment of non-Part VIIIB items
This is a worked example of how to endorse items that are not listed in Part VIIIB and how this endorsement is used to calculate the reimbursement price.
Worked example: (see picture below)
• Quantity dispensed – 15 capsules
• Pack size – 30 capsules
• Product should be endorsed with quantity dispensed over pack size used.
• Price should be the price per pack less any discount/rebates and not the total invoice price.
• Reimbursement calculation: One pack of 30 costs £30, so pro-rata Primary Care Services will pay £15 for dispensing 15 (example price only)
Additional endorsing requirements: The following endorsements are also required to ensure correct payment.
• Special Manufacturer’s or Importer’s MHRA licence number
• Batch Number of the product
• Specials Procurement Fee (SP)